The benefits of oatmeal are well known - it is low in salt and sugar, high in fiber and protein, boosts energy, prevents diabetes, and promotes heart health. That is a power-packed food! It is also one of the most economical foods you can buy.
Oatmeal for breakfast has many benefits, it starts off the day with a highly nutritious meal and it staves off hunger until lunch time. For seniors who may have problems chewing, oatmeal is easy to eat. For those who may not have a robust appetite, oatmeal smells good and looks appetizing and may encourage them to eat.
Oatmeal can be cooked to eat, or made ahead of time in a slow cooker. It can be garnished with nearly anything your loved one likes to eat, from nuts and coconut to chopped or sauteed fruit. Here are three recipes for a healthy delicious dish of oatmeal in the morning.
Banana Nut Oatmeal, made to eat:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Combine oats and 1 cup water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes.
2. Top with banana slices, walnuts, and cinnamon.
Cranberry Pear Oatmeal, made to eat
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1 cup organic rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced pear
- 1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
1. Bring water and apple cider to a boil in a large saucepan.
2. Stir in oats and salt; reduce heat to low, and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add pear, cranberries, cinnamon, and vanilla, stirring gently to combine; cook 3 minutes or until oats are tender.
4. Stir in pecans and milk.
Blueberry and Honey Overnight Oats
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt, plain or vanilla
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Add Quaker Oats to your container of choice.
2. Pour in the milk, add the blueberries and Greek yogurt.
3. Sweeten by topping with honey.
4. Place in the refrigerator.
5. It will be ready to eat in the morning.
A few months ago we wrote about Six Superfoods you need to know about.
Believe it or not, three out of the six are in this post, too! We believe staying informed on nutritional value is staying empowered.