Finally, there’s a way to step up and take action against Alzheimer’s Disease. Maria Shriver, the founder of The Women’s Alzheimer’s Movement™ and Move for Minds, has created the second annual one day, eight city challenge at Equinox Health Clubs to raise money to fight Alzheimer’s and we’re honored to be a part of it. We’ll be joining Maria in this movement as the exclusive Caregiving Partner and will also be hosting a very special contest to celebrate the amazing family caregivers across this country that help to support those living with dementia.
Our CEO Lily Sarafan and Maria Shriver will be kicking off the contest on May 1st at 10:45am PST through a Facebook Live event. As part of this contest, Home Care Assistance be giving away a free weekend of respite care to 60 family caregivers across each of the eight cities the event will be taking place in: Boston, NYC, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington DC, and Miami. This will help family caregivers take a much-needed break from their caregiving responsibilities to relax, rejuvenate and recharge.
The Facebook Live event will also be an exciting and intellectually stimulating discussion around two questions: why are so many people getting Alzheimer's and why are the majority of them women? Lily will be joined by two incredible thought leaders, including:
- Dr. Frank Longo, a professor of neurology and neurological sciences at the Stanford School of Medicine and one of the country’s leading Alzheimer’s researchers. His work on Alzheimer’s therapeutics has been featured on the cover of Time Magazine in 2016 and the Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation (ADDF) has been invested in his cutting-edge research for more than a decade.
- Maria Shriver, an Emmy & Peabody award-winning journalist and producer, New York Times best-selling author, NBC News Special Anchor and founder of The Women’s Alzheimer’s Movement™. Maria is one of the the leading activists and voices for those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and the people who care for them.
The one-day Move for Minds challenge and The Women’s Alzheimer’s Movement™ aim to fight the startling statistics that show the toll Alzheimer’s is taking on Americans and their families:
- Every 66 seconds a new brain is developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- 5.4 million Americans have Alzheimer’s disease.
- More than 3.5 million of them are women.
- Alzheimer’s disease disproportionately affects women and no one knows why.
As Maria Shriver stated, “You can have a healthy brain. You can change your life, change your brain and change your future.” That’s why Move for Minds has created a “three-hour experience” in Equinox Health Clubs across America. It will include a unique mind-body workout class, an exclusive marketplace with brain healthy snacks, and a panel discussion featuring superstars of brain research, fitness, nutrition and more.
While focusing on the mind/body connection, Move for Minds also has a goal of raising funds for research on Alzheimer’s disease and womens’ brains. Each participant that joins the event at an Equinox Health Club is asked to raise a minimum of $250. All of the money raised will benefit the Women’s Alzheimer’s Movement™, a global alliance committed to funding research to find out why Alzheimer’s discriminates against women. Once registered, each participant will receive a personal fundraising page, fundraising tips and support from the Move for Minds team.
We encourage you to join us! The fight against Alzheimer’s Disease is going to take all of us. While we care for and comfort those suffering with the disease, we look to the day when a cure is found.